
Its half past THREE in the morning. In an hour or so, sun rays will come splitting the darkness. In this eastern part of the country, it becomes brighter early at 4 a.m.The Noisy Streets OF CALCUTTA will come to life sooner or later. Fighting all night long I am so tired, yet I have not defeated them! Who are they? Bastards .How do I get rid of them? Atleast let me Sleep now" I begged for mercy and shrunk into my wrinkled bed sheet and closed my eyes! Complete darkness now!
Not even the moonlight.” Thank God, they are gone".
"Wait...wait! Did u say moonlight?” I heard silent whispers.
The whispers continued “Those moonlit nights D-block terrace when you guys gazed at the sky and located pattern in the stars? The fun, the fights..."one by one they came and took over Me.” memories" memories
THE notorious five! Distinct tastes! Distinct Cgpa s! We had nothing in common, except that we belonged to PSG ECE, A dream come true college for everyone of us. Yet another thing in common! We were ready to pay any price to fulfill the dreams of a "College going GUY”. Bottom sip beer, Hearts in cigarette smoke, Movie before semester exams, Mass bunk, and of course a girlfriend to discuss novels, music, moon, rain etc.
If you need good things in life u should be ready to accept the bad things that come along. In my case it was the other way round. I went to borrow a cigarette and ended up finding a friend, A FRIEND FOR lifetime. I had my egos, we were in different sections, and he studied well. I have wondered how one can study well and smoke.Either I should give up the thought of smoking or lose my dignity. Both weighed the same for me and i stood hesitatingly. I pretended not to look at him. Suddenly someone's hand reached my shoulders. I turned back; it was the Resident tutor asking me to go back to my room. We say a bad word very fast that it sounds like the usual good evening to them, and they would reply "I know I know, now go to your room”. I greeted him few of those and walked back to my room. There sat the "smoke lender”. It s a thrill to smoke inside the hostel premises, what is more thrilling is doing it, sitting next to the resident tutors room. The first time he came slamming the door to find none, we disappeared, next a peep outside and after that he couldn’t sleep without our cigarette smoke. Addictive isn’t it?
The gorkha's whistle brought me back to a dark room; it was me and me alone. I had once experienced the same situation during college days. Semester exams keep every one busy with Library books, Xeroxes, and notes. I would seclude myself from the rest and go to inert mode to escape lectures from class jambavans asking me to study. Memorizing formulas or micro xeroxes? Hardwork or smart work. It jus takes 10 minutes to Xerox, but we were given 2x24x60 minutes to prepare.” An idle mind is a devil’s paradise”. Before i could fall prey to the Devil, The savior came in the form of "the chatterbox”. He started speaking that day and i started listening to him, he has not stopped yet. We were the first two ranks in our class from the last. We were on the Wanted list. Attendance lack chased us every single semester. Arrears began to tumble. It was not that easy to study for arrear exams, ESP when all your friends have gone for a jolly tour alias "Industrial Visit”. We studied all Greek and Japanese sitting and fighting it together.” A Friend in need is the friend indeed".
Yawn!!Yawn!!Dawn!!Dawn!!I could here footsteps, Bunch of morning walkers and joggers were into their business. They were no close to the "Athlete" I knew. He can run ten miles and still go to class. He is the one who cares about everybody, every insect. He is the one who brings us back to the hostel after the booze nights. The painting of the girl that he drew and never disclosed! She never knew, someone could draw her so accurately! Call it love or admiration. Everything was good about him, but something was imperfect, unacceptable, we sorted it out sitting in one of our rooms. From then, we had to carry him back to the hostel after drinking.” How can he be so sweet?"
Babies, I love them, only until they start crying. The shrill cry of the baby next door added to the miseries of my long Insomnious night. There was a "little man" among us. I had noticed him during my first year, just after a week, the college has begun. He had a "pattai" on his forehead, study material on one hand, book on the other. He walked four steps front, turned back, and turned the page, again four steps. He completed the Xerox before i could read the title of the chapter. If he can do it why can’t I? By morning, I successfully managed to get only the first Para mugged up. It took us a year and a half to meet again. I heard that the new representative of our rival class had sowed the seed for Interactions between guys and girls by introducing Dare and pair. I was curious to know who the fucker was. Their interaction would mean "doors shut" "no entry" for us to the girls next class. The rep was none other than our "Mr.studious".The journey to our friendship began with exchanging chicks' phone numbers. By the time we finished a U.G in our course, we also finished a P.G in "knowing girls’ mind" and I had arrears there too.
The evergreen days would never come back. I longed for something that is not going to repeat. There was not a drop left in my eye pool. The five was reduced down to one. I had to act as a fresher just stepping into the college, as if nothing has happened. I could feel the heat.
The whispers stopped "heat? The sun shone very bright now, I could feel the heat.Ding! Ding! Some one was at the door. I came out of the blanket, got up and opened the door. It was a whole new world, a world to explore, a world to conquer! ---RAJAN Dada AACHE???
"Gone are those days! When my heart was filled with gay
Gone are my friends, who will never come again
I heard the gentle voices singing, poor old Joe".
No comments:
Post a Comment